Monday, July 16, 2012

Episode 10 - The Legend of Korra



Download as an mp3
We had a few Skype hiccups while recording, but I did my best to clean them up.

You can now find us on iTunes!  Just search for Strangers from the Internet.

Huge thanks to Igor for joining us this episode! Check out his photography, his livejournal, and his Urbis Arcana stories - Chicago based fiction with a supernatural twist.

Link to Republic City here. The information on the herd of  sky bison can be found on Air Temple Island, and the stuff about Zuko can be found at Central City Station. The interface is much like Pottermore, where you have to wander around and find stuff to get some of the information, or we would link you directly to it.

The similarities between Amon/Noatak and Korra are not as obvious with Noatak as an adult (though they share many facial expressions) however Noatak's teenager self is dead ringer for her. (Expressions are similar for ease of comparison.)


Angry/concentrating Adult!Amon/Noatak

Angry/Concentrating Teen!Amon/Noatak
Angry/Concentrating Korra

Similarities: Face shape in general, they get the same eyebrows when they frown (and many of their facial expressions are shared), similar nose shape, and young Amon/Noatak has a very similar hairstyle to Korra (it's not obvious in the shot taken but he wears a high pony tail and his sideburns hang loose beside his face).

Cannot find a link to the Avatar the Last Airbender videos mentioned during the podcast, it seems like the offer we were talking about (watch the series, legally, for free) is one of the following: 1 - no longer available; 2- I (Bethany) suck at finding it; 3 - we all collectively hallucinated that. Let us know which in the comments.


2 comments:

  1. Yay Korra! Despite having some issues with the pacing at the end, I thought that this was a really solid series and I can't wait to see what happens in the subsequent books.

    I LOVE ASAMI. Asami is the best. First, I love her character design, how she's so glamorous and still manages to stay glamorous even when she's kicking ass. Also, I love that she and Korra actually become good friends and the writers didn't pull any frenemies-ish "Oh, you like my boyfriend so I actually hate you" bullshit. (Which I HATE with a fiery passion.) I really can't wait to see what Asami does in the next book.

    While I was frustrated with the love triangle, I actually liked that they made it complicated and that these are teenagers who mess up and can't spit their feelings out properly. And yes, I do feel bad for Bolin (although I laughed whenever he found Mako and Korra kissing, because of his girly run), but he's got his fangirls. And Pabu. Bo's going to be fine.

    And like everyone else, LIN BEI FONG. I loved her the moment she showed up in episode one. Before they dragged in the Avatar State ex machina at the end, I was speculating that Lin would show up in Book 2 with her bending restored. Just because SHE'S A BEI FONG, AND THEY ARE AWESOME LIKE THAT. (Also, is it bad that I want a flashback to her and Tenzin's teen years at one point?)

    I also have a theory regarding the Equalists- I think that they have a good chance of coming back, and they'll be really pissed considering that they've been manipulated by a bender. I really want the writers to explore the complexities of bending vs. nonbending. And that Lieutenant needs to come back.

    Oh, and after I watched the first episode, I turned my sister and said, "Do we know any mad geneticists? Because we need to make polar bear dogs happen." (And fire ferrets. Because Pabu is akldjkfhjdsADORABLE. WAAAANT.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you on Korra and Asami not being frenemies. Both of them are way too cool to stoop to that level and I'm glad the writers knew that too.

      I would totally watch a Lin and Tenzin flashback. Though I'll be honest, I'd watch just about any kind of flashback.

      Pabu! While I don't love him quite as much as I did Momo, it's still early and my opinion could change. :)

      Delete